The kitchen sponge is one of the dirtiest things in the kitchen. They are used for washing dishes, cleaning kitchen appliances and wiping up food spills. Sponges can harbor harmful bacteria and when left unsantized can spread food-borne illnesses and bacteria all over your kitchen. In order to prevent contamination, you should sterilize your sponges weekly. Here is a simple way to clean your sponge and create a healthier kitchen environment:
Things You Will Need:
- Cool water
- Microwave-safe bowl
1. Rinse the sponge with cool water and wring out any excess liquid.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of cool water in a microwave safe bowl.
3. Lay the sponge in the bowl of cool water.
4. Place the bowl in the microwave.
5. Microwave on the highest heat setting for 2 minutes.
6. Let the bowl cool completely before removing it from the microwave.
7. Do not remove the sponge from the bowl until the water has cooled thoroughly.
Note: If you don't have a microwave you can substitute a dishwasher's drying cycle for the two minutes in the microwave.